thesaurus & dictionary > Dictionary - Feedbacks > Suggestions

Search

Topic closed
User Post
Lauro Schuck
2 post(s)

Before anything else, awesome application! Best offline dictionary, hands down.

Now, I think the app needs a 'quit now' button, which would be quite useful if you use the back key to return to the previous screen (currently, the quickest way would be to use the '<' button and then the back key).

Also, not sure if intentional, but not all word definition data is present in the dictionary. Check 'reply' on en.wiktionary, first verb definition contains three example phrases which are missing (and were already present during last update).

And finally, your 'auto redirect' for 'inflected form' is quite useful saving us a click, but it does not help if you want to know which inflection it is. Using the 'reply' example, if I search 'replied', it automatically redirects to 'reply' (probably because there is only one link possible under 'replied'), and I can't know it which verbe tense it is (which is very useful for Romance languages like French os Spanish). I'd suggest two possible implementations: put the inflection info ('simple past tense and past participle of reply') as the first section on 'reply', before pronunciation; or add a configuration to disable auto-redirect upon inflection. The former would be way better, if possible.

Kind regards.

28-May-14, 18:56:56 Rispondi | Citazione | Report spam
admin
145 post(s)

Web site
Thank you for your feedback!

About your suggestions:

quit button: in the action bar (top bar) there is the overflow menu that contains the "exit" menu item. You can close the dictionary by selecting the "exit" menu item.

missing examples: the original size of the compressed english wiktionary is about 424 Mbytes. In order to reduce the size of the dictionary to less than 20 Mbytes I have to remove secondary information. In the future I'll add the possibility to download the whole dictionary on the sd card.

auto redirect: the actual implementation minimizes the size of the application. In the future I'll look how to improve the handling of flex forms by adding more information without wasting too much memory.

29-May-14, 18:39:56 Rispondi | Citazione | Report spam
Lauro Schuck
2 post(s)

Thanks for your detailed reply.

quit button: I'm sorry, but the button is not present. I can see it on the market screenshots, but not on the application itself. Portrait orientation shows history and bookmark buttons, landscape shows settings as well. Maybe the design is expecting more pixels to display it.
I have the latest version (2.3), on a Galaxy S Advance phone (480 x 800 px resolution) with Android 4.1.2.

auto redirect: hope you can work on it. It's the only "feature" that really restricts some info I'd get from the regular Wikitionary. Full dictionary would be nice, but secondary in comparison.

02-Jun-14, 20:13:27 Rispondi | Citazione | Report spam
admin
145 post(s)

Web site
About the quit button: your phone has a physical Menu Key, on the left corner in the bottom side, just below the screen: press it, a popup will appear with several options, including exit item

03-Jun-14, 19:49:22 Rispondi | Citazione | Report spam