- IPA: /ˈd͡ʒɛn.ə.sɪs/
genesis (plural geneses)
- The origin, start, or point at which something comes into being.
- Some point to the creation of Magna Carta as the genesis of English common law.
- French: genèse
- German: Genese, Genesis
- Portuguese: génese (Portugal), gênese, origem
- Russian: происхожде́ние
- Spanish: génesis
- (religion) The first sacred book in the Torah and the Hebrew Bible.
- Synonyms: Gen.
- A female given name of American usage since the 1980s.
- (video games) A video game console, the Sega Genesis.
- French: Genèse
- German: Genesis, 1. Buch Mose (das erste Buch Mose)
- Italian: Genesi
- Portuguese: Gênesis
- Russian: Кни́га Бытия́
- Spanish: Génesis