quaternary (not comparable)
- Of fourth rank or order
- the quaternary stress in a pronounced word
- Of a mathematical expression containing e.g. x4
- Relating to or in number base four
- (organic chemistry) quaternary ammonium
- (inorganic chemistry) composed of four elements
- French: d'ordre quatre
quaternary (plural quaternaries)
- (chemistry) A quaternary compound.
- (geology) The Quaternary period or the system of deposits laid down during it.
- (geology) The geological period of the Cenozoic Era immediately following the Tertiary. It is subdivided into the Pleistocene and the Holocene Epochs.
- French: quaternaire
- German: Quartär
- Italian: quaternario
- Portuguese: Quaternário
- Russian: Четвертичный пери́од
- Spanish: Cuaternario