- (RP) IPA: /juːˌnaɪtɨd ˈsteɪts/, /jʊˌnaɪtɨd ˈsteɪts/
- (GA) enPR: yo͞o-nī'tĭd stātsʹ, IPA: /juˌnaɪtɪ̈d ˈsteɪts/, [juˌnaɪ̯ɾɪ̈d ˈsteɪ̯ts], [jɪ̈-]
(in the singular) shortened form of United States of America
- (in the plural) The collection of individual states of the United States of America.
- (military) Includes the land area, internal waters, territorial sea, and airspace of the United States, including:
- US territories, possessions, and commonwealths; and
- Other areas over which the U.S. government has complete jurisdiction and control or has exclusive authority or defense responsibility
- (nation's name) Federal nation consisting of several states, actual, historical or hypothetical.
- Republic of the United States of Brazil.
- The United States of Europe.
- French: États-Unis
- German: USA, Vereinigte Staaten, Amerika
- Italian: Stati Uniti
- Portuguese: Estados Unidos
- Russian: Соединённые Шта́ты
- Spanish: Estados Unidos, EE. UU.