- IPA: /ˈjuːnɪks/
Unix (plural Unixes or Unices)
- (computing) A computer operating system that shares the original source code by Dennis Ritchie and Ken Thompson, currently owned by Novell.
- Hypernyms: :*nix
- hypo en
- (computing) An operating system largely compatible with Unix that qualifies for use of the UNIX trademark, currently owned by The Open Group.
- (computing, informal) The above plus Unix-like operating systems similar to Unix but not qualifying for use of the UNIX trademark.
- GNU is not Unix.
- (computing) The group of Unix operating systems as a whole.
- The Linux kernel operating system is one of the most popular forms of Unix.
- Alternative letter-case form of Unix