- (America) IPA: /əˈbeɪ.əns/
- (legal) Expectancy; condition of ownership of real property being undetermined; lapse in succession of ownership of estate, or title. [Late 16th century]
- The proceeds of the estate shall be held in abeyance in an escrow account until the minor reaches age twenty-one.
- Suspension; temporary suppression; dormant condition. [Mid 17th century]
- (heraldry) Expectancy of a title, its right in existence but its exercise suspended.
- The broad pennant of a commodore first class has been in abeyance since 1958, together with the rank.
- French: vacance, vacant
- German: Schwebezustand, Unentschiedenheit
- Portuguese: pendência
- Russian: состоя́ние неопределённость
- Spanish: expectativa, esperanza, suspenso
- French: (adjective) en suspens, suspension
- Italian: sospensione
- Portuguese: suspensão, pendência
- Russian: приостановле́ние
- Spanish: suspensión, desuso, suspenso