- IPA: /ˌæksəˈdɛnt(ə)li/
- In an accidental manner; by chance#Noun|chance, unexpectedly.
- Synonyms: casually, fortuitously, Thesaurus:accidentally
- He discovered penicillin largely accidentally.
- He accidentally exposed the bacteria to mold spores.
- 1899, Knut Hamsun, “Part I”, in George Egerton [pseudonym; Mary Chavelita Dunne Bright], transl., Hunger: Translated from the Norwegian, London: Leonard Smithers and Co. […], OCLC 560168646 ↗; republished New York, N.Y.: Alfred A. Knopf, October 1920 (December 1920 printing), OCLC 189563 ↗, page 14 ↗:
- As I arrived at the foot of the hill I overtook two ladies, whom I passed. As I did so, I brushed one of them accidentally on the arm.
- French: accidentellement
- German: versehentlich
- Italian: casualmente, accidentalmente
- Portuguese: acidentalmente
- Russian: случа́йно
- Spanish: accidentalmente