- IPA: /əˈkwaɪə(ɹ)mənt/
- (now, rare, chiefly, in plural) Something that has been acquired; an attainment or accomplishment. [from 17th c.]
- […] his acquirements by industry were […] enriched and enlarged by many excellent endowments of nature […]
- 1748, Samuel Richardson, Clarissa, Letter 27:
- If she can think, that the part she has had in your education, and your own admirable talents and acquirements, are to be thrown away upon such a worthless creature as Solmes, I could heartily quarrel with her.
- The act or fact of acquiring something; acquisition. [from 17th c.]
- […] rules for the acquirement of a taste […]
- 1952, Annual report of the Chief of Engineers U.S. Army
- At best, a considerable time elapses between authorization and land acquirement, during which land values may vary impredictably.
- (act of acquiring, or that which is acquired) acquisition