- IPA: /əˈdaptə/
adapter (plural adapters)
- One who is capable of adapting to differing situations.
- He was an able adapter, and could easily adjust to the differences when the company changed ownership.
- One who adapts a thing, e.g. a play.
- The critic gave rave reviews to the adapter of the ancient play, who worked to give the text more relevance to the modern day.
- A device or application used to achieve operative compatibility between devices that otherwise are incompatible.
- He had an adapter that let him plug his phone into the car's cigarette lighter for power.
- Specifically, a device that permits two, three, or more plugs to be used at a single electrical power point.
- The wall outlet sprouted an electrical monstrosity of adapters plugged into adapters that sparked ominously.
- Specifically, a device that allows one format of plug to be used with a different format of socket.
- We bought adapters to use our three-prong plugs in the two-prong, unpolarized outlets of the old house.
- Specifically, an AC adapter: a device that reduces voltage and converts AC to DC to allow a battery-powered device to use mains power.
- I lost my cellphone's adapter so I couldn't recharge it.
- French: adaptateur
- German: Steckdosenleiste, Steckerleiste
- Portuguese: adaptador
- Russian: переходни́к
- Spanish: adaptador