- IPA: /ˈæd.və(ɹ)s/, /ədˈvɜ(ɹ)s/
adverse (comparative adverser, superlative adversest)
- Unfavorable; antagonistic in purpose or effect; hostile; actively opposing one's interests or wishes; contrary to one's welfare; acting against; working in an opposing direction.
- adverse criticism
- Happy were it for us all if we bore prosperity as well and wisely as we endure an adverse fortune.
- Opposed; contrary; opposing one's interests or desire.
- adverse circumstances.
- (not comparable) Opposite; confronting.
- the adverse page
- the adverse party
- 1809, Lord Byron, English Bards and Scotch Reviewers, Google Books ↗
- Calpe's adverse height / […] must greet my sight
- French: défavorable
- German: widrig
- Italian: contrario, avverso
- Portuguese: adverso, desfavorável
- Russian: неблагоприя́тный
- Spanish: adverso, desfavorable
- German: gegnerisch
- Italian: ostile
- Portuguese: adverso, contrário
- Russian: вражде́бный
- Spanish: contrario