- IPA: /əˈfɛkʃənət/
- (of a person) Having affection or warm regard; loving; fond.
- She eulogised her always warm and affectionate brother.
- (of an action, etc.) Characterised by or proceeding from affection; indicating love; tender.
- the affectionate care of a parent; an affectionate countenance; an affectionate message; affectionate language
- 1900, Charles W. Chesnutt, The House Behind the Cedars, Chapter I,
- Warwick left the undertaker's shop and retraced his steps until he had passed the lawyer's office, toward which he threw an affectionate glance.
- (obsolete) Eager; passionate; strongly inclined toward something.
- tender; lovesome; attached; loving; devoted; warm; fond; earnest; ardent.
- See also Thesaurus:affectionate
- IPA: /əˈfɛkʃəneɪt/
affectionate (affectionates, present participle affectionating; past and past participle affectionated)
- (rare) To show affection to; to have affection for.
- (obsolete, reflexive) To emotionally attach (oneself) to.
- 1603, Michel de Montaigne, John Florio, transl., The Essayes, […], printed at London: By Val[entine] Simmes for Edward Blount […], OCLC 946730821 ↗:, Folio Society, 2006, p.21:
- Plutarch saith fitly of those who affectionate themselves to Monkies and little Dogges, that […].
- 1721, John Rushworth, Historical Collections Of Private Passages of State, etc.: 1618—1629, Volume 1, [http://books.google.com.au/books?id=5DBDAAAAcAAJ&pg=PA222&dq=%22affectionating%22|%22affectionated%22&hl=en&sa=X&ei=8toFUeSeGMapkgX4p4CIDQ&redir_esc=y#v=onepage&q=%22affectionating%22|%22affectionated%22&f=false page 222],
- And firſt, his Majeſty would have you to underſtand, That there was never any King more loving to his People, or better affectionated to the right uſe of Parliaments, than his Majeſty hath approved himſelf to be, […].
- 1838 February 1, Charles Dickens, To Catherine Dickens, 2012, Jenny Hartley (editor), The Selected Letters of Charles Dickens, [http://books.google.com.au/books?id=NJH1g1i4gnIC&pg=PA41&dq=%22affectionating%22|%22affectionated%22&hl=en&sa=X&ei=8toFUeSeGMapkgX4p4CIDQ&redir_esc=y#v=onepage&q=%22affectionating%22|%22affectionated%22&f=false page 41],
- Ever my dear Kate your affectionated husband
- CHARLES DICKENS