- The act of aggravating, or making worse; used of evils, natural or moral; the act of increasing in severity or heinousness; something additional to a crime or wrong and enhancing its guilt or injurious consequences.
- Synonyms: exacerbation
- 1826, Mary Shelley, The Last Man, part 1, chapter 10
- Adrian, whose health had always been weak, now suffered considerable aggravation of suffering from the effects of his wound.
- Exaggerated representation.
- An extrinsic circumstance or accident which increases the guilt of a crime or the misery of a calamity.
- (informal) Provocation, irritation, annoyance.
- German: Erschwerung, Verärgerung, Zuspitzung, med. Verschlechterung, erschwerender Umstand
- Portuguese: agravamento, agravação, agravo
- Spanish: agravio