- IPA: /ˈæl.ɘˌɡoʊɹ.i/, /ˈæl.ɘˌɡɔɹ.i/
- (rhetoric) The representation of abstract principles by characters or figures.
- A picture, book, or other form of communication using such representation.
- A symbolic representation which can be interpreted to reveal a hidden meaning, usually a moral or political one.
- (mathematics, category theory) A category that retains some of the structure of the category of binary relations between sets, representing a high-level generalisation of that category.
- French: allégorie
- German: Allegorie, Sinnbild
- Italian: allegoria
- Portuguese: alegoria
- Russian: аллего́рия
- Spanish: alegoría