- Though, even though, in spite of or despite the fact that: introducing a clause that expresses a concession.
- Although it was very muddy, the football game went on.
- But, except.
- It was difficult, although not as difficult as we had expected.
- (in spite of) notwithstanding (that), even if, albeit (that), even though; see also Thesaurus:even though
- French: bien que, quoique, encore que, nonobstant que (obsolete), combien que (obsolete)
- German: obwohl, obschon (poetical), obgleich
- Italian: sebbene, benché (both always followed by the subjunctive)
- Portuguese: embora, conquanto, apesar de
- Russian: хотя́
- Spanish: aunque, a pesar de