- IPA: /əˈmiːli.əɹeɪt/
ameliorate (ameliorates, present participle ameliorating; past and past participle ameliorated)
- (transitive) To make better, or improve, something perceived to be in a negative condition.
- They offered some compromises in an effort to ameliorate the situation.
- 18, Thomas Babington Macaulay, chapter 3, in The History of England from the Accession of James the Second, volume (
please specify ), London: Longman, Brown, Green, and Longmans, OCLC 1069526323 ↗:
- (intransitive) To become better; improve.
- See also Thesaurus:improve
- French: améliorer
- German: verbessern
- Italian: migliorare
- Portuguese: aperfeiçoar, melhorar
- Russian: улучша́ть
- Spanish: mejorar