- (America) IPA: /ˌæmplɪfɪˈkeɪʃən/
- The act, or result of amplifying, enlarging, extending or adding.
- (physics) The act, or result of independently increasing some quantity, especially voltage, power or current.
- (electronics) Gain.
- (genetics) The using of the polymerase chain reaction (PCR) for isolating and exponentially amplifying a fragment or sequence of DNA.
- (organic chemistry) A procedure used in the nomenclature of complex organic compounds in which the superatoms of a basic structure (a phane) are replaced by cyclic structures (amplificants).
- (translation studies) A translation technique that involves adding content that is not present in the source text to the target text, usually to improve the fluency of the translation.
- German: Verstärkung (intensity); Vergrößerung (enlarging)
- Portuguese: amplificação
- Russian: увеличе́ние
- Spanish: amplificación