- (America) IPA: /ˈæmp.lɪ.faɪ/
- (transitive) To render larger, more extended, or more intense.
- amplify the loudspeaker
- amplify a telescope
- amplify a microscopes
- amplify the message
- amplify an image on the screen
- amplify the impact of the project
- (transitive, rhetorical) To enlarge by addition or commenting; to treat copiously by adding particulars, illustrations, etc.; to expand.
- (transitive) To increase the amplitude of something, especially of an electric current.
- amplify a signal
- (translation studies) To add content that is not present in the source text to the target text, usually to improve the fluency of the translation.