ancestor (plural ancestors)
- topics en One from whom a person is descended, whether on the father's or mother's side, at any distance of time; a progenitor; a forefather.
- An earlier type; a progenitor
- This fossil animal is regarded as the ancestor of the horse.
- (legal) One from whom an estate has descended;—the correlative of heir.
- (figuratively) One who had the same role or function in former times.
- French: ancêtre
- German: Vorfahr, Vorfahrin, Ahn, Ahne, Ahne, Ahnin, Urahn, Urahne, Urahne, Stammvater, Stammmutter, Familiengründer
- Italian: antenato, ascendente, avo, abiatico, progenitore
- Portuguese: ancestral, antepassado
- Russian: пре́док
- Spanish: ancestro, antepasado
ancestor (ancestors, present participle ancestoring; past and past participle ancestored)
- To be an ancestor of.