- IPA: /ˈeɪ.ə.ɹɪst/
aorist (plural aorists)
- (grammar, uncountable) A grammatical category of verbs that is often a perfective past: that is, it expresses perfective aspect (also known as aorist aspect) and past tense. The nearest equivalent in English is the simple past.
- (grammar, countable) This grammatical category in a particular language, for instance, Albanian and Ancient and Modern Greek.
- (grammar, countable) A particular verb in the aorist.
aorist (not comparable)
- (grammar) Of or pertaining to a verb in the aorist aspect.
- the aorist stem of a verb
- French: aoriste
- German: aoristisch
- Portuguese: aorístico
- Russian: ао́ристный