- Rising, moving upward.
- The constellation […] about that time ascendant.
- Surpassing or controlling.
- An ascendant spirit over him.
- The ascendant community obtained a surplus of wealth.
- Portuguese: ascendente
ascendant (plural ascendants)
- Being in control; superiority, or commanding influence; ascendency.
- One man has the ascendant over another.
- Chievres had acquired over the mind of the young monarch the ascendant not only of a tutor, but of a parent.
- An ancestor (antonym of descendant)
- (usu. followed by to) A royal heir assuming (a place of power)
- Given his father's ghastly demise, one would not expect such glee from the ascendant to his throne.
- Ascent; height; elevation.
- Sciences that were then in their highest ascendant.
- (astrology) The horoscope, or that degree of the ecliptic which rises above the horizon at the moment of one's birth; supposed to have a commanding influence on a person's life and fortune.