ascertain (ascertains, present participle ascertaining; past and past participle ascertained)
- To find out definitely; to discover or establish.
- Synonyms: determine, discover, establish, find out, learn, work out
- As soon as we ascertain what the situation is, we can plan how to proceed.
- (obsolete) To make (someone) certain or confident about something; to inform.
- (archaic) To establish, to prove.
- (archaic) To ensure or effect.
- French: constater, définir
- German: feststellen
- Italian: accertare, appurare, stabilire, constatare, riscontrare
- Portuguese: averiguar, determinar, estabelecer, apurar, constatar
- Russian: удостоверя́ться
- Spanish: averiguar, determinar, establecer, definir