- IPA: [əˈtɹɪʃən]
- Wearing or grinding down by friction.
- The gradual reduction in a tangible or intangible resource due to causes that are passive and do not involve productive use of the resource.
- (human resources) A gradual, natural reduction in membership or personnel, as through retirement, resignation, or death.
- (sciences) The loss of participants during an experiment.
- (theology) Imperfect contrition or remorse.
- (dentistry) The wearing of teeth due to their grinding.
- (linguistics) The loss of a first or second language or a portion of that language.
- (employment reduction by natural causes) natural wastage
- French: usure
- German: Verschleiß, Abnutzung, Abrieb, Zermürbung, Abreibung, Abschürfung
- Portuguese: atrito
- Russian: истира́ние
- Spanish: abrasión
- French: départs volontaires
- German: Abgang, Arbeitskräfteabgang, natürlicher Abgang
- Russian: у́быль персона́ла
- German: unvollkommene Reue
- Spanish: atrición
attrition (attritions, present participle attritioning; past and past participle attritioned)