automobile (plural automobiles)
- (US, Canada) A type of vehicle designed to move on the ground under its own stored power and intended to carry a driver, a small number of additional passengers, and a very limited amount of other load. A car or motorcar.
- French: voiture, auto, automobile, char (Canada)
- German: Automobil, Auto, Kraftfahrzeug, Personenwagen, Kraftwagen, Personenkraftwagen, PKW, Pkw, Wagen
- Italian: automobile, auto, macchina, vettura, autovettura
- Portuguese: automóvel, carro, veículo, auto
- Russian: автомоби́ль
- Spanish: automóvil, carro, coche, auto
automobile (automobiles, present participle automobiling; past and past participle automobiled)
- (intransitive, dated) To travel by automobile.
automobile (not comparable)
- Self-moving; self-propelled.
- As early as 1898 I proposed to representatives of a large manufacturing concern the construction and public exhibition of an automobile carriage which, left to itself, would perform a great variety of operations involving something akin to judgment.