- (aviation, nautical) A mechanical, electrical, or hydraulic system used to guide a vehicle without assistance from a human being.
- I set the autopilot to due south, so I could get some rest.
- (by extension, figuratively) A state of mind where one no longer thinks about doing one's actions, but acts mechanically
- I've been doing this 12 hours non-stop, and am so hungry and tired that I've stopped thinking: I'm now on autopilot.
- French: pilote automatique
- German: Autopilot
- Portuguese: piloto automático
- Russian: автопило́т
- Spanish: piloto automático, autopiloto
autopilot (autopilots, present participle autopiloting; past and past participle autopiloted)