avenue (plural avenues)
- A broad street, especially one bordered by trees.
- A way or opening for entrance into a place; a passage by which a place may be reached; a way of approach or of exit.
- The principal walk or approach to a house which is withdrawn from the road, especially, such approach bordered on each side by trees; any broad passageway thus bordered.
- A method or means by which something may be accomplished.
- There are several avenues by which we can approach this problem.
- (urban toponymy) A street, especially, in cities laid out in a grid pattern, one that is in a particular side of the city or that runs in a particular direction.