axis (plural axes)
- (geometry) An imaginary line around which an object spins (an axis of rotation) or is symmetrically arranged (an axis of symmetry).
- The Earth rotates once a day on its axis
- (mathematics) A fixed one-dimensional figure, such as a line or arc, with an origin and orientation and such that its points are in one-to-one correspondence with a set of numbers; an axis forms part of the basis of a space or is used to position and locate data in a graph (a coordinate axis)
- (anatomy) The second cervical vertebra of the spine
- Synonyms: epistropheus
- (psychiatry) A form of classification and descriptions of mental disorders or disabilities used in manuals such as the DSM (Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders)
- (botany) The main stem or central part about which organs or plant parts such as branches are arranged
- Italian: epistrofeo
- Portuguese: áxis
- Spanish: axis
axis (plural axises)
- The alliance (in effect before and during World War II) of Germany, Italy, Japan
and several minor allied countries, which opposed the Allies.
- the Axis Powers