backbite (backbites, present participle backbiting; past backbit, past participle backbitten)
- To make spiteful slanderous or defamatory statements about someone.
- (informal) To attack from behind or when out of earshot with spiteful or defamatory remarks.
- To speak badly of an absent individual.
- See also Thesaurus:defame
- French: calomnier, salir, diffamer
- German: verleumden, afterreden, anschwärzen
- Italian: dire peste e corna, parlare male, denigrare, sparlare, calunniare, parlare alle spalle
- Russian: злосло́вить
- Spanish: calumniar
backbite (plural backbites)
- One who engages in backbiting; a backbiter.