barbarian (not comparable)Synonyms Translations
- French: barbare
- German: barbarisch
- Italian: barbaro
- Portuguese: bárbaro
- Russian: ва́рварский
- Spanish: bárbaro
barbarian (plural barbarians)
- (historical) A non-Greek or a non-Roman.
- An uncivilized or uncultured person, originally compared to the hellenistic Greco-Roman civilisation; often associated with fighting or other such shows of strength.
- (derogatory) Someone from a developing country or backward culture.
- A warrior, clad in fur or leather, associated with sword and sorcery stories.
- (derogatory) A person destitute of culture; a Philistine.
- A cruel, savage, brutal person; one without pity or humanity.
- Thou fell barbarian.
- (derogatory) A foreigner, especially with barbaric qualities as in the above definitions.