- (British) IPA: /ˈbɑːɹɪŋ(ɡ)/
- present participle of bar#English|bar
barring (plural barrings)
- (collective) Bars; an arrangement or pattern of stripes or bars.
- The act of fitting or closing something with bars.
- The exclusion of someone; blackballing.
- (mining) Timber used for supporting the roof or sides of shafts.
- (sewing) The sewing of a decorative bar or tack upon a fabric or leather.
- Synonyms: tacking
- Unless something happens; excepting; in the absence of.
- Barring any further red tape, we will finally be able to open the restaurant.
- Barring any sudden storms, the plane should arrive on time.