behind the scenes
- IPA: /bɪˈhaɪnd ðə siːnz/, /bəˈhaɪnd ðə siːnz/
- (idiomatic, theatre, film) behind the scenery and stage area; backstage; among the actors; during the production or rehearsal
- Many videos come with features that show what went on behind the scenes to make the movie and special effects.
- (idiomatic, figurative) In secret; out of public view.
- The government has been negotiating behind the scenes with the separatists for months.
- French: en coulisse, de l'autre côté du décor, dans les coulisses
- German: hinter den Kulissen
- Italian: (also of theatre and movies) dietro le quinte
- Portuguese: nos bastidores, por detrás dos bastidores, por baixo dos panos
- Russian: (also of theatre) за кули́сами
- Spanish: detrás del telón, entre bastidores, tras bambalinas
behind the scenes (not comparable)