blackball (plural blackballs)
- A rejection; a vote against admitting someone.
- A black ball used to indicate such a negative vote.
- Regardless how many other people may have voted to approve a candidate for membership, a single blackball will reject the candidate.
- A kind of large black sweet; a niggerball.
- A substance for blacking shoes, boots, etc. or for taking impressions of engraved work.
blackball (blackballs, present participle blackballing; past and past participle blackballed)
- (transitive) To vote against, especially in an exclusive organization.
- If you're not from a moneyed, well-connected family, you can count on getting blackballed from the fraternity.
- (transitive) To ostracize.