by no means
- (idiomatic) certainly not; definitely not.
- By no means am I suggesting that euthanasia should be outlawed, but rather that we should look at its inherent risks.
- 1856: Gustave Flaubert, Madame Bovary, Part III Chapter XI, translated by Eleanor Marx-Aveling
- He by no means gave up his shop. On the contrary, he kept well abreast of new discoveries. He followed the great movement of chocolates; he was the first to introduce "cocoa" and "revalenta" into the Seine-Inferieure.
- French: en aucun cas, aucunement
- German: keineswegs, auf keinen Fall
- Italian: a nessun patto
- Portuguese: de modo algum
- Russian: нико́им о́бразом
- Spanish: de ninguna manera, ni por asomo