- IPA: /baɪ/
bye (plural byes)
- The position of a person or team in a tournament or competition who draws no opponent in a particular round so advances to the next round unopposed, or is awarded points for a win in a league table; also the phantom opponent of such a person or team.
- Craig's Crew plays the bye next week.
- (cricket) An extra scored when the batsmen take runs after the ball has passed the striker without hitting either the bat or the batsman.
- (obsolete) A dwelling.
- (obsolete) A thing not directly aimed at; something which is a secondary object of regard; an object by the way, etc.
- The Synod of Dort condemneth upon the bye even the discipline of the Church of England.
- (card games) A pass.
- (colloquial) Goodbye.
- French: salut
- German: tschüss
- Portuguese: tchau, até mais, até logo (see you soon), até breve (see you soon), adeus (formal)
- Russian: пока́
- Spanish: adiós, chau, chao
- Obsolete spelling of by#English|by
- Obsolete spelling of bee#English|bee