- IPA: /ˈtʃæmpi.ənʃɪp/
- (sports) A competition to determine a champion, especially the final of a series of competitions.
- The position of champion, or winner.
- Defense or support of some cause.
- His championship of civil rights eventually bore fruit.
- 1945 August 17, George Orwell [pseudonym; Eric Arthur Blair], chapter 6, in Animal Farm: A Fairy Story, London: Secker & Warburg, OCLC 3655473 ↗:
- They had also dropped their championship of Jones, who had given up hope of getting his farm back and gone to live in another part of the county.
- French: championnat
- German: Meisterschaft
- Italian: campionato
- Portuguese: campeonato
- Russian: чемпиона́т
- Spanish: campeonato