- IPA: /klænˈdɛstɪn/, /ˈklændɪst(a)ɪn/, /ˈklændəst(a)ɪn/
- Done or kept in secret, sometimes to conceal an illicit or improper purpose.
- Synonyms: covert, furtive, hush-hush, secret, secretive, undercover, Thesaurus:covert
- clandestine military operations
- 2004 — Penny Arcade
- In my imagination, all work place encounters between men and women result in clandestine sex.
- 2005 — Stewart Lee, 90's Comedian DVD
- And I don't want anyone to think I dislike Catholicism because I don't. It's actually my favourite form of clandestine global evil.
- (freemasonry, of a person or lodge) Not recognized as a regular member.
- French: clandestin
- German: klammheimlich, heimlich, geheim, klandestin (obsolete)
- Italian: clandestino
- Portuguese: clandestino
- Russian: подпо́льный
- Spanish: clandestino