- IPA: /kəmˈpɑː(ɹ)tmənt/
compartment (plural compartments)
- A room, or section, or chamber
- Two men were seated in a well-lighted compartment of a third-class railway carriage.
- One of the parts into which an area is subdivided.
- (biochemistry) Part of a protein that serves a specific function.
- (heraldry) A mound (often of grass) beneath the shield in a coat of arms on which the supporters stand.
- (anatomy) A region in the body, delimited by a biological membrane.
- French: compartiment
- German: Abteil
- Portuguese: compartimento
- Russian: отделе́ние
- Spanish: compartimiento
compartment (compartments, present participle compartmenting; past and past participle compartmented)
- (transitive) To arrange in separate compartments.