- IPA: /ˌkɑnsə(ɹ)ˈveɪʃən/
- The act of preserving, guarding, or protecting; the keeping (of a thing) in a safe or entire state; preservation.
- Wise use of natural resources.
- (biology) The discipline concerned with protection of biodiversity, the environment, and natural resources
- (biology) Genes and associated characteristics of biological organisms that are unchanged by evolution, for example similar or identical nucleic acid sequences or proteins in different species descended from a common ancestor
- (culture) The protection and care of cultural heritage, including artwork and architecture, as well as historical and archaeological artifacts
- (physics) lack of change in a measurable property of an isolated physical system (conservation of energy, mass, momentum, electric charge, subatomic particles, and fundamental symmetries)
- French: préservation
- German: Erhaltung, Konservierung, Bewahrung
- Portuguese: conservação
- Russian: сохране́ние
- Spanish: conservación