- Amazement or horror that confounds the faculties, and incapacitates for reflection; terror, combined with amazement; dismay.
, Chuck Klosterman:
- It was probably worth four millennia of consternation and regret.
, The Awakening, Kate Chopin:
- "Out!" exclaimed her husband, with something like genuine consternation in his voice.
- 2003, Terrance Dicks & Barry Letts, Deadly Reunion, chapter 17:
- Their audience had been listening in increasing consternation.
- French: consternation, sidération, accablement, prostration
- German: Bestürzung, Fassungslosigkeit
- Italian: costernazione
- Portuguese: consternação
- Russian: у́жас
- Spanish: consternación, abatimiento, postración