- IPA: /kənˈvɛnʃənl/
- Pertaining to a convention, as in following generally accepted principles, methods and behaviour.
- Ordinary, commonplace.
- They wear conventional clothes, eat conventional food, and keep conventional hours.
- Banal, trite, hackneyed, unoriginal or clichéd.
- (weapons) Pertaining to a weapon which is not a weapon of mass destruction.
- (agriculture) Making use of synthetic fertilizers and pesticides.
- (bridge) In accordance with a bidding convention, as opposed to a natural bid.
- (pertaining to a convention) atypical, out of the ordinary, unconventional
- (ordinary) imaginative
- (weapons) nuclear
- (agriculture) organic
- (bridge) natural
- French: conventionnel
- German: konventionell, herkömmlich
- Italian: convenzionale
- Portuguese: convencional
- Russian: обы́чный
- Spanish: convencional
conventional (plural conventionals)
- (finance) A conventional gilt-edged security, a kind of bond paying the holder a fixed cash payment (or coupon) every six months until maturity, at which point the holder receives the final payment and the return of the principal.