- A standstill resulting from the opposition of two evenly matched forces; a stalemate or impasse
- (computing) An inability to continue due to two programs or devices each requiring a response from the other before completing an operation.
- French: impasse
- German: toter Punkt, Stillstand
- Italian: punto morto, arresto, blocco, stallo, stasi, fermo
- Portuguese: impasse
- Russian: засто́й
- Spanish: estancamiento
- French: interblocage, étreinte fatale
- German: Deadlock, Verklemmung
- Portuguese: deadlock
- Russian: взаи́мная блокиро́вка
deadlock (deadlocks, present participle deadlocking; past and past participle deadlocked)
- To cause or to come to a deadlock.