- A temporary mental state with a sudden onset, usually reversible, including symptoms of confusion, inability to concentrate, disorientation, anxiety, and sometimes hallucinations. Causes can include dehydration, drug intoxication, and severe infection.
- The popular delirium [of the French Revolution] at first caught his enthusiastic mind.
- the delirium of the preceding session (of Parliament)
- 1826, Mary Shelley, The Last Man
- Better to decay in absolute delirium, than to be the victim of the methodical unreason of ill-bestowed love.
- delirium tremens
- French: délire
- German: Delirium, Fieberphantasie, Taumel
- Italian: delirio
- Portuguese: delírio
- Russian: бред
- Spanish: delirio