determine (determines, present participle determining; past and past participle determined)
- To set the boundaries or limits of.
- To ascertain definitely; to figure out, find out, or conclude by analyzing, calculating, or investigating.
- To fix the form or character of; to shape; to prescribe imperatively; to regulate; to settle.
- To fix the course of; to impel and direct; with a remoter object preceded by to.
- The news of his father's illness determined him to depart immediately. attention en
- To bring to a conclusion, as a question or controversy; to settle authoritative or judicial sentence; to decide.
- The court has determined the cause.
- To resolve on; to have a fixed intention of; also, to cause to come to a conclusion or decision; to lead.
- I determined to go home at once.
- (logic) To define or limit by adding a differentia.
- (obsolete) To bring to an end; to finish.
- French: déterminer
- German: bestimmen, eingrenzen
- Portuguese: determinar
- Russian: определя́ть
- Spanish: determinar