dilemma (plural dilemmas)
- A circumstance in which a choice must be made between two or more alternatives that seem equally undesirable.
- Synonyms: Thesaurus:dilemma
- 1731, Jonathan Swift, "An Epistle to Mr. Gay"
- A strong dilemma in a desperate case! / To act with infamy, or quit the place.
- A difficult circumstance or problem.
- Synonyms: bind, fix, pickle, problem, quandary
- (logic) A type of syllogism of the form "if A is true then B is true; if C is true then D is true; either A or C is true; therefore either B or D is true".
- (rhetoric) Offering to an opponent a choice between two (equally unfavorable) alternatives.
- French: dilemme
- German: Dilemma
- Italian: dilemma
- Portuguese: dilema
- Russian: диле́мма
- Spanish: dilema, disyuntiva