- IPA: /ˈdaɪ̯ə(ɹ)/
dire (comparative direr, superlative direst)
- Warning of bad consequences: ill-boding; portentous.
- dire omens
- Requiring action to prevent bad consequences: urgent, pressing.
- dire need
- Expressing bad consequences: dreadful; dismal
- dire consequences; to be in dire straits
- Synonyms: horrible, terrible, lamentable
- (informal) Bad in quality, awful, terrible.
- His dire mistake allowed her to checkmate him with her next move.
- French: funeste, sinistre
- German: düster, böse, fatal
- Portuguese: mal-agoirado
- Russian: злове́щий
- Spanish: de mal agüero, portentoso
- French: extrême, terrible
- German: schrecklich, entsetzlich, furchtbar
- Italian: terribile, tremendo, tragico, catastrofico
- Portuguese: horrível, terrível
- Russian: жу́ткий
- Spanish: maligno