- IPA: /dɪsəˈvaʊ/
disavow (disavows, present participle disavowing; past and past participle disavowed)
- (transitive) To strongly and solemnly refuse to own or acknowledge; to deny responsibility for, approbation of, and the like.
- Synonyms: abjure, deny, disclaim, disown, reject
- Antonyms: accept, own up
- He was charged with embezzlement, but he disavows the crime.
- (transitive) To deny; to show the contrary of; to deny legitimacy or achievement of any kind.
- Synonyms: disprove, deny, impugn, reject, repudiate
- Antonyms: accept, prove
- Because of her dissatisfaction, she now disavows the merits of fascism.
- French: désavouer
- German: abstreiten, verleugnen, widersprechen, sich distanzieren von, desavouieren
- Spanish: repudiar