discover (discovers, present participle discovering; past and past participle discovered)
- To find or learn something for the first time.
- Turning the corner, I discovered a lovely little shop. I discovered that they sold widgets.
- (transitive, obsolete) To remove the cover from; to uncover (a head, building etc.).
- (transitive, now, rare) To expose, uncover.
- The gust of wind discovered a bone in the sand.
- (transitive, chess) To create by moving a piece out of another piece's line of attack.
- This move discovers an attack on a vital pawn.
- (transitive, archaic) To reveal (information); to divulge, make known.
- I discovered my plans to the rest of the team.
- c. 1596–1598, William Shakespeare, “The Merchant of Venice”, in Mr. William Shakespeares Comedies, Histories, & Tragedies: Published According to the True Originall Copies (First Folio), London: Printed by Isaac Iaggard, and Ed[ward] Blount, published 1623, OCLC 606515358 ↗, [Act II, scene vii]:
- Go, draw aside the curtains, and discover / The several caskets to this noble prince.
- 1625, Francis Bacon, Of Adversity
- Prosperity doth best discover vice; but adversity doth best discover virtue.
- (transitive, obsolete) To reconnoitre, explore (an area).
- a. 1472, Thomas Malory, “(please specify the chapter)”, in [Le Morte Darthur], book V, [London: […] by William Caxton], published 31 July 1485, OCLC 71490786 ↗; republished as H[einrich] Oskar Sommer, editor, Le Morte Darthur […], London: Published by David Nutt, […], 1889, OCLC 890162034 ↗:
- they seyde the same, and were aggreed that Sir Clegis, Sir Claryon, and Sir Clement the noble, that they sholde dyscover the woodys, bothe the dalys and the downys.
- (obsolete) To manifest without design; to show; to exhibit.
- The youth discovered a taste for sculpture.
- (expose something previously covered) expose, reveal, uncover
- (find something for the first time) come across, find
- French: découvrir
- German: erleben, erfahren, dabei sein, mit erleben / reisen
- Italian: scoprire, discoprire
- Portuguese: descobrir, descobrir
- Russian: раскрыва́ть
- Spanish: descubrir, destapar
- French: découvrir
- German: entdecken
- Italian: scoprire, discoprire, trovare
- Portuguese: descobrir
- Russian: открыва́ть
- Spanish: descubrir
- (US) Discover Card, a brand of credit card.