- IPA: /dɪsˈpleɪsmənt/, /dɪzˈpleɪsmənt/
displacement (plural displacements)
- The act of displacing, or the state of being displaced; a putting out of place.
- Unnecessary displacement of funds.
- The displacement of the sun by parallax.
- The quantity of a liquid displaced by a floating body, as water by a ship, the weight of the displaced liquid being equal to that of the displacing body.
- (chemistry) The process of extracting soluble substances from organic material and the like, whereby a quantity of saturated solvent is displaced, or removed, for another quantity of the solvent.
- (fencing) Moving the target to avoid an attack; dodging.
- (physics) A vector quantity which denotes distance with a directional component.
- (grammar) The capability of a communication system to refer to things that are not present (that existed or will exist at another time, or that exist at another location).
- Russian: водоизмеще́ние
- French: déplacement
- Italian: spostamento
- Portuguese: deslocamento
- Russian: перемеще́ние
- Spanish: desplazamiento