effort (plural efforts)
- The work involved in performing an activity; exertion.
- It took a lot of effort to find a decent-sized, fully-furnished apartment within walking distance of the office. He made a conscious effort to not appear affected by the stories in the paper.
- An endeavour.
- Although he didn't win any medals, Johnson's effort at the Olympics won over many fans.
- A force acting on a body in the direction of its motion.
- French: effort
- German: Anstrengung, Aufwand
- Italian: sforzo
- Portuguese: esforço
- Russian: уси́лие
- Spanish: esfuerzo
effort (efforts, present participle efforting; past and past participle efforted)
- (uncommon, intransitive) To make an effort.
- (obsolete, transitive) To strengthen, fortify or stimulate