- IPA: /ɪˈlɪməneɪt/
eliminate (eliminates, present participle eliminating; past and past participle eliminated)
- (transitive) To completely remove, get rid of, put an end to.
- (transitive, slang) To kill (a person or animal).
- a ruthless mobster who eliminated his enemies
- (ambitransitive, physiology) To excrete (waste products).
- (transitive) To exclude (from investigation or from further competition).
- Bill was eliminated as a suspect when the police interviewed witnesses.
- John was eliminated as a contestant when it was found he had gained, rather than lost, weight.
- (accounting) To record amounts in a consolidation statement to remove the effects of inter-company transactions.
- French: éliminer
- German: eliminieren, zerstören:
- Italian: eliminare
- Portuguese: eliminar
- Russian: ликвиди́ровать
- Spanish: eliminar