- IPA: /ˈɛmbəsi/
embassy (plural embassies)
- The function or duty of an ambassador.
- An organization or group of officials who permanently represent a sovereign state in a second sovereign state or with respect to an international organization such as the United Nations.
- The American embassy to France is located in Paris.
- A temporary mission representing a sovereign state.
- The Japanese embassy to the United States traveled to Washington, D.C., where it was received by James Buchanan, before continuing on to New York and then returning to Japan, making several stops on the way.
- The official residence of such a group, or of an ambassador.
- French: ambassade
- German: Botschaft
- Italian: ambasciata
- Portuguese: embaixada
- Russian: посо́льство
- Spanish: embajada